- The Southern Humanities Review, Winter 2014. "Women Bathing", a novella of a young woman painter in late 19th century Paris.
- The Tiferet Journal, Winter 2014. Winner of Tiferet’s 2013 Fiction Prize for best short story, "The Root System of Trees".
- The Southern Humanities Review, Fall 2012. "Terminus", inspired by the life of sharp shooter Annie Oakley. Winner of the 2012 Christian Hoepfner Award for best short story.
- Creative Nonfiction, 2003. "A Merging of Head and Heart", an essay, reprinted in the anthology Rage and Reconciliation: Inspiring a Health Care Revolution. Southern Methodist University Press. 2005.
- The Alaska Quarterly Review, 1997. "Vermeer's Light", a short story. Included in Summerset Review's list of best recommended stories.
- Other Voices, 1995. "Father's Day", a short story.
- Residency, The Virginia Center for the Creative Arts, Winter 2017.
- Residency, Hedgebrook, A Retreat for Women Authors, 1994, 2011, 1013.
- Finalist, Southwest Review's 2008 Fiction Award.
- Finalist-Special-Mention, The Heekin Novel-in-Progress Award for Kahn's Law, a semi-autobiographical mystery about a daughter's search for information about her atomic scientist father.
- Short-Listed for the Fine Arts Work Center in Provincetown.